Sunday, January 09, 2005

The Human Spirit

With football on the brain,

and in the spirit of the playoffs, we watched Friday Night Lights a few days ago.

I'm such a sucker for movies based on true stories of human triumph and determination that, although I'm not a huge football fan, it had me glued to the tube for the duration of the movie.

THEN a few days later, I find out that the coach portrayed in that movie, Gary Gaines, had been coaching the football team at Abilene Christian University for the past 4 years!

How neat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the movies I am really looking forward to seeing once it's out on DVD (next week I think?). Glad to hear it's a good one!

Catt
http://cativa.blogspot.com

Animesh said...

Haven't seen this one, but your description reminded me of "Remember the Titans".
I knew nothing about American football when I saw that movie, but it was great nevertheless :)

Oh great One said...

Remember the Titans! That was the movie I was thinking of! With Denzel! That was a great one too! Dealing with racism and doing what was right not what was the norm. I highly recommend that you see that one too! I am not a huge fan either but if you are into stories of human triumph give it a try! I will have to check out Friday Night Lights as well! My husband would be happy I am sure.

Andrea Knapp said...

Friday Night Lights was an awesome film - if only coz it had the three delectable Tim McGraw, Billy Bob and Lucas Black.

a*c said...

ohh i want to see that flick, i think i'll save it for the off season incase i'm craving the football.