Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Knock Knock Who's There??

Tap Tap Tap....

I was blog exploding as usual when i heard some rapid fire tapping behind me. My first thought was, "oh, it's David working on the cattery", but then I remembered that I had just made him lunch and he was happily munching on a burrito and watching the news...

So I peek outside, only to see Mr. Woodpecker, pecking on my WINDOW!

In Malaysia, houses are so close together with motorcycles zooming about all the time or children playing in the streets loudly that birds of any sort would definitely be frightened off before they would venture anywhere near you.

Since moving here, we have had the pleasure of woodpeckers, cardinals, sparrows, roadrunners and even DUCKS on the property, partly because we've put out birdfeeders to entice them.

I just hope once the outdoor cattery is ready though, that the kitties will get along with the birdies.


Wishful thinking?

7 comments:

makuahine said...

Thinking of woodpeckers almost always makes me laugh. I remember to when I was little we used to get them A LOT on my parent's house. They have cedar siding on the second story of their house, so you can see how that would attrack those little guys.
One day we came home from... somewhere... and to my horror there were three of my dolls hanging on the house on the second story!! My mother was horrified all-the-more because they were cloth dolls that she had made for me. Dad said he hung them there to keep those woodpeckers away. After much complaining, two of the dolls came down. The other stayed for a while.
I don't think it was an effective deterant, though. ;-)

valerie

Hazelinesnow said...

The place where I am staying right now, have multi colored birds flying around -- nope they are not extinct yet. I always feed the stray cats. At least, that's what I thought. I found out later, that I was actually not only feeding the cats but the birds, squirrel and get a load of this, the monkey!

Animesh said...

I used to be scared of woodpeckers as a kid. I always feared that they would somehow drill a hole in my head.

ks said...

The only woodpecker i know is woody woodpecker from the cartoon!

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating blog! My husband came to the US to be with me and I find your stories and your insights very interesting!

As to the cats and the birds, oh dear! Generally what happens is that the birds become lunch for the cats. (UNless the cats can't get to the birds because of fencing or something.)

Misti
As Jack Grows

Anonymous said...

Letti says:

Trish: Hi there..it's always good to read about others in the region. Nice blog you have there too!

Valerie: OMG your poor dollies as scarecrows??? We were at the mall the other day and they had screeching OWL noises to deter birds.

Hazel: I'm guessing you either live in like the suburbs or in a condo :) My sister used to live in the Sg. Buloh area and there would be monkeys too!!

Animesh: You're too silly for words

Kstang: Hey, i even see Road runners out here! *beep beep* and they're tiny...on TV the roadrunner cartoon makes them look like ostriches but they're actually tiny little things

Misti: I'm glad you liked the blog..oh, the cattery will be all fenced up and the kitties will only be able to look at the birdies from afar..unless they climb up the tree in the cattery..but still there's gonna be chicken wire and a see-thru roof :)

thanks y'all for dropping by :)
letti

Hazelinesnow said...

You are right. I live in the suburbs of Melawati in a townhouse.