Friday, January 07, 2005

To Buffet or NOT to Buffet

I am guilty of taking the easy way out...


I cook almost every day and although i enjoy cooking, having to come up with a non repetitive Asian/American/Tex-Mex menu constantly, can sometimes hurt my brain.

Back in Malaysia, I would actively avoid Chinese restaurants where you had to order something off of the menu. For one thing, even though I can converse in several chinese dialects, I never took any formal lessons and therefore can't read or write much Chinese.

In restaurants where they were kind enough to include romanized text, I still had problems trying to figure out what "Beggar's Chicken", "The Great Wall Supreme", "Phoenix rising from Ashes", "Basket of Happiness", "Fish of Fury" or even "Buddha's smile" meant!! ( Oh, I can just see some of you chuckling at the "Sum Yung Chik" or "Won Hung Lo" jokes right now)

ANYWAY, coming back to the topic of the day...

At buffets, even though i have to be constantly mindful not to overeat , I have the luxury of not having to THINK about what to order cos it's all laid out and i can pick and choose according to what is right before my eyes, beggar's chicken or no beggar's chicken.


We can't have too many of those though, if I am to attempt to look waifish and petite for the big day in June. *sigh*

2 comments:

Mandina said...

LOL! I love that fortune cookie!

Mellie Helen said...

Oh yes, that fortune cookie message picture is a hoot!! My favorite take out food to snicker at is "Puu Puu Platter". *snorfle! yuk yuk! giggle!*