Recently, I have been zapping myself ( painfully ) when I reach for the door knob, car door, keys, coins, even other people. And then there's the thing about my hair sticking out in weird configurations and crackling while brushing, as well as sticking to my forehead and face. Some days I feel like I am going to spontaneously combust!
The culprit? Static Electricity.
I've had static electricity experiences before, but not THIS rampant!
I quickly googled it and found some reasons:
- Carpet - we had linoleum on the floors in Malaysia, but now I'm walking on carpet and yes, i sometimes tend to scuff and shuffle my feet along, creating massive amounts of electrical charges.
- Rubber shoes
- Dry air - the air in Winter is notorious for being dry, and the central heating in the house, which takes out even more humidity, doesn't help ( the humidity in malaysia is like 99% and was 50% in Abilene today)
Some remedies I found online included:
- use conditioners for your hair and lotion for your body
- rub a fabric softener sheet ( the kind you toss into the dryer with your clothes ) on your hair and skin
- Get a room humidifier
- get a ring and wear it ( to "ground" the charges )
- touch a key or coin in your pocket before you touch the door knob/car door etc..
- drag around a metal chain like what you see on gasoline tankers/trucks going down the Highway( eek, i'm not Frankenstein! )
I told David about my predicament and he told me that the only solution for me was to wear a lightning rod on my head. BLEH!