Sunday, November 02, 2014

The Old Jail Art Center never fails to amaze

First, it was their Chinese New Year celebrations, which we have been to a few times, and then this year, they started a Diwali Family Festival celebration to bring more awareness to the community about this celebration. In Malaysia, Diwali ( or Deepavali as we call it ) is a National Public Holiday, and Jaxon and I had spent a few days learning about it in school. So when I found out that they were doing this, I had to make sure we went by there.

 photo genie2_tray-10252014-33856-PMbmp_zps34055b0a.jpg
I don't know why, but I was compelled to "printscreen" the  page advertising the Festival - like, as if it was going to disappear and we would have no proof that it ever existed. :)
 photo PA250820_zps8b01024c.jpg
When I was a little girl and went on excursions/trips with my family, my dad would ask us to touch the walls as part of the experience.  That was strangely fulfilling and memorable.
 photo PA250821_zpsfe72afc0.jpg
History, man. Like, woah.
 photo PA250830_zps45c6dc6c.jpg
The first thing that caught our eyes was the Rangoli Art in the courtyard.
 photo Jaxons-Blog_zps0987c783.jpg
It was a warm day, and I pretty much had sweat dripping off my forehead by the time we were done, but the girl on duty had hours yet to sit out there at her post. 
 photo PA250833_zps7edacf9f.jpg
There were a couple of rows of Diya lamps to usher us to the Festival.
 photo PA250835_zpsf0a8fae5.jpg
And colorful decorations on the wall
  photo Jaxons-Blog2_zps6ea591d1.jpg
Daddy even got into it by doing a craft with the little boy.
 photo Jaxons-Blog1_zps39a12622.jpg
 photo Jaxons-Blog3_zpsb02754fc.jpg
 photo Jaxons-Blog4_zps864abbab.jpg
The little boy got really into the different stations, and even got to make his own cookie! AND there was authentic Indian food, ordered from a local Indian Restaurant
 photo Jaxons-Blog5_zps8c8a9397.jpg
Hurray for the Old Jail Art Center!

No comments: