Sunday, October 29, 2006

An Extra Hour of Sleep...

Before Church Today

I had just about gotten used to it getting darker, earlier and earlier in the day.

And now, with Daylight Saving Time, and the days getting shorter, and nights longer, the sun will rise even later, and the sun will set earlier and earlier.

So...What's the big deal?

It was all very simple when I lived just 1 degree above the equator - the length of day varied only VERY slightly from 12 hours all year round, i.e. on any given day, the number of hours of daylight would equal the number of hours of night time, just about.

i.e. No Daylight Saving Time, almost no difference in the time the sun rises or sets all year round, no remembering to "spring forward" or "fall back".

Click HERE for a cool interactive thingy on the length of day and night in a year around the world.



Daylight saving time (DST), also known as summer time, is a widely used system of adjusting the official local time forward, usually by one hour from its official standard time, for the spring, summer, and early autumn periods. DST is most commonly used in temperate regions, due to the considerable variation in the amount of daylight versus darkness across the seasons in those regions.



Letti
: Oh, we have to remember to change the clocks tonight
David : Yeah, the clocks gotta fall back
Letti : Which means? ( I still can't remember if we lose an hour or gain an hour )
David :Arent the words"falling back" pretty obvious?

*10 second pause*

Letti : So does falling back mean an hour earlier or an hour later?
David : *rolls eyes*
Letti : Hey, I come from a country that has just ONE time zone and NO worrying about springings and fallings of any shape, size or form.
David : .......
Letti : Grrr.


Incidentally, Arizona (except some Indian Reservations), Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa have chosen not to observe Daylight Saving Time.

This choice does make sense for the areas closer to the equator because the days are more consistent in length throughout the year. ( Indiana joined the rest of the US in observing DST this year )


Beginning in 2007, for the US, DST will start the second Sunday of March and end on the first Sunday of November.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey.. Letti,
Papa BoK and my MIL keeps track of stuff like that.. hehhee!! but i sure hate it .. because it gets dark so quick.. ! suckky..!

DD said...

I get mixed up about it too, and I don't have any excuse!

Anonymous said...

It took me a loooooooooong time to get it, and I almost forgot to even do it this week. I would have been VERY early to church ;)

<"3 )~

Laura.Y said...

hehehe, that's a problem we don't get in KL huh. But hey at least there's no haze to deal with over there. Haze back here has been terrible.

Anonymous said...

So, according to the last quote that you have there, Standard time - the one that goes from November to March, is less than half the year in 2007 in the USA. Not so standard after all. ;-)

Skwermy said...

I totally understand where you are coming from.....I confuse myself all the time! :-)

Tamara said...

Yup...you would "think" that once I hit my 30's I would FINALLY remember when to put the friggin clock forward or backward,huh?But as usual,I ask the same question each time we change the clock.I just asked my friend:"does this mean it gets light earlier,or dark earlier"? Uh-huh....one of these years maybe I won't feel compelled to ask those questions.lol
Your such a doll,Letti.Thank you....a million thank you's for fixxing my blog(which I managed to mess up).What a terrific way to start the day.I got up and checked my usual stuff...email's,my blog,etc..and was so amazed and so excited to see my comments retrieved! I promise...I DID "TRY" to fix it (frown).Only to see that I was doing more damage in the process....but da-da-da-daaaa!! Here comes Letti in her wonder woman cape,and fixxed all of my screw-ups...I would say in the blink of an eye.But I'm scared to ask how long it took you to fix it.
Thanks again!
~BIG hugs~
Tammi

Anonymous said...

I'm so glads that the clocks switched back. I tired of getting to work while its still dark out.

Thao said...

I like it when modern appliances and electronic equipment are "smart" enough to fall and spring on their own. Especially the important things like computers and DVRs. Now I just need to get me the alarm clocks that change on their own.

Monica said...

i wish they would just stop the time change, In Arizona they dont change at all!!!!

SooHK said...

I experience it during my trip to melbourne... I loss one hour of fun time...