Sunday, November 26, 2006

BBQ by moonlight in Autumn

David got us matching BBQ grills..

a while back when he was at an auction - a little "mummy" grill and a big "daddy" grill, both of which use coal/wood. I'm sure one day we'll have one of those top of the line fancy-schmancy propane-driven-with-umpteen-bells-and-whistles grills, but for now we've really enjoyed our mesquite ( m-skt, or for us non dictionary-inclined types, "me'skeet" ) smoked food, which is yummiliciouso!

Plus, we're in Texas, so there's an abundance of mesquite wood on our 5 acre property. I had not had the chance to sample much "smoked" meat back in Malaysia, let alone having seen a real smoker or BBQ grill set thingy, that it was all pretty neat. My first introduction to it was when David smoked some salmon for us a little over 3 years ago, but that's a story for another time. You can read more about mesquite HERE on Wikipedia.

So, anyway, last night, the weather was cool and not too windy, and so I thought, well, this would be a good time to fire up the mummy grill for some mesquite smoked/BBQ'd chicken. David prepared some mesquite coals for me and I happily put the marinaded meat on, and waited.

What had slipped my mind was that now, with winter approaching, and the weather turning, that the DAYS were also SHORTER. In other words, it got DARK on me real fast. Meaning, I had to go run to David for some McGyvering for me to see enough to continue "cooking" in the dark.



It was a lot of fun, though, listening to Christmas music on the radio and smelling the food cooking, listening to all the sizzling on the hot coals and the cool night breeze.



We even had enough for another meal today. wOOt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow your property is 5 acre big? :D That is really a jumbo size one if you compare it to houses in Malaysian and especially Singapore where land is super scarce.

What a lovely setting for a BBQ party. Cooking is fun, and eating the food you cooked is even more fun! Last time I went to this X'mas BBQ party at my aunt's house and I ended eating up my overcooked chicken XD

dreaming-neko said...

bbq showdown? :)