Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Business of Bussing

Judith's family meets at McDonald's..

on Saturdays as a weekly family gathering thing. I've joined them a few times and the first few times after breakfast, as we were leaving, I would walk ahead towards the door and notice that there wasn't anyone next to or behind me. I look back and they're clearing the table.

This is known as bussing ( or busing )....and at places where there isn't any table service, like at fast food chains and food courts, it would be a social obligation to clear up your own mess.

Bussing basically involves removing used dishes and utensils from the table and dumping them in prepared bins. In classier establishments or eateries where there are waiters, you probably aren't expected to do any of that, and the waiter does the bussing...but it involves leaving a tip..which I would leave for a later post.

Malaysians don't really have the bussing concept ingrained in them, quite the opposite of over here in the States/the West, but it didn't take me very long to be making a conscious effort to remember to do that in order not to look too much like a spoilt brat.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

over here in aussie, bussing do apply. in places such as McDonals, KFC, Hungry Jacks (Burger King) and etc., me and my bf always clean up our own table when we've done. I was quite surprised at first as we don't do that in KL :P

Victor Antonio a.k.a. Soldado De Oracion said...

Hello,
Thank you very much for paying my blog a visit. Please, visit as often as you like. Like you, I moved here to the States as an immigrant. I needed to re-learn many things. I was near the top of my career ladder back home but here in the States, I've had to start at the very bottom.
I pray that God will bless your life in your new-found home.
In Christ,
Soldado De Oracion

Desmond Goh said...

We experienced bussing in the States. When we come back to KL, my son and I always do that when we eat at McDonalds. We did that once when someone was waiting for us to leave our table so that they could sit there. I am sure they learn something because I can see that they were quite appreciative of what we have done.

*~*HollyMarie*~* said...

I guess it would be hard to change a habit that you have had for all of you life. I'm the type of person that if the service is REALLY good, I will leave a large tip, but if the service is REALLY bad, I will only leave about 50 cents.

Well, I need to go to class! Tata!

*~*God Bless*~*

Anonymous said...

Hi Letti, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I grew up in the San Francisco area, but moved to NYC for four years in college. The differences between the two coasts was fascinating to me. In NY, McDonalds delivers! And there's even one down in Wall Street that has waiters, a doorman and a piano player! Bizarre....
Risa

Ms One Boobie said...

Asians are spoilt..?? no..??