Monday, February 04, 2019

Reunion Dinner 2019

I am not good at all at making Asian Dishes.  My maternal grandmother, on the other hand, was a tremendous cook.  She made all our meals for as long as I could remember, until my dad decided that that was too much a strain on her, and we started having someone else cook for us.  I wish I had taken the time to let her show me how to make some of her signature dishes. 

Anyway, seeing how the it was Chinese New Year's Eve and all that, I thought I would try to emulate a few things that she would make.

Her Fried Vermicelli was the best. Here is my poor imitation. :D
 She would make Sweet and Sour Fish - I don't have her recipes, but I try to think back to the times when I observed her cooking, and try to get mine close enough - at least in appearance.

We never had fillets, though. Always whole fish.
 I looked up the recipe for Scallion Pancakes, because even though I didn't ever eat this growing up, we had had them a couple of times at Sunrise, and the little boy really enjoyed them.
 Last but not least, I had gotten some fish balls from The Filipino Store, and made some soup :)
I know it isn't much, but given that there is absolutely NO CNY atmosphere here in Abilene, I think I didn't do too badly.

No comments: