Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Bidding Farewell to Chinese New Year

In all the 18+ or so years that I have been here in The States, I have never attempted to make Tang Yuan, little sticky rice balls, for the last day of Chinese New Year. I have fond memories of my Grandmother making these year after year, and because it was a once-a-year affair for us, it was quite the treat.

Now, having a Part Chinese Child of (Semi)Tender Years sometimes puts things into perspective about my own heritage. I have never been really good at the cultural and traditional aspects of being Chinese, but I knew I had to let The Child in on as many of these as I could.

Needless to say I had neither Glutinous Rice Flour or Red Bean Filling readily on hand, and so those had to be ordered.  As for the second filling, I Sandra Lee'd it with some Generic Peanut Butter and Chopped Peanuts.


The Tang  Yuan I grew up with were always of the White and Pink varieties, and so that's what I stuck with.


The Child gave a thumbs up to the Tang Yuan, but I think he could have done without the Ginger Syrup that accompanied the little rice balls :)

Nevertheless, I would say, "SUCCESS!"





No comments: