Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Glasses for the Little Boy

I had noticed the little boy squinting at the TV quite a few months back, and I had been trying to judge if his eyes were bothering him.  He would say he saw things well, and that the "light was making me squint".

I would ask him to read things which were a little farther away, and he would do okay.

This time, when it was time for the yearly checkup, he didn't do well on the Vision Test with the Eye Chart.

I had all kinds of feelings running through me when we left the doctor's office. I was feeling like I had failed as a mother, that somehow it was my fault.  If only I hadn't let him use his tablet so much, even though I was already setting time limits for devices, if only I had been better with making sure he was spending more time out of doors, and so on and so forth.  AND I wear glasses, and have had a pair since I was 15.  I only found out I needed glasses after a puberty growth spurt and needed to sit at the back of the class because of my height.

And even though I wear glasses, somehow I worried about HIM wearing glasses.

Then I came across a blog post which made me aware that many parents feel this way as well, and somehow I felt a little comforted.

So, we got him an appointment with the optometrist and lo and behold, he needed glasses.  It broke my heart when he started saying all the letters wrong during the testing, and obviously guessing on a bunch of them.  And then, as if by magic, the optometrist repeated the exam with lenses on, and he could see super clearly. I was very relieved that the optometrist looked into the little boy's eyes and declared they were healthy.

We shall see from here on out, how it goes, but when we picked up his glasses a few days later, and he put them on, he kept marveling at how he could see everything in so much more detail, and they weren't blurry any more.

I asked him why he never told me his eyes were blurry, and that I had to guess at it, and take steps to test for it, he replied, "I thought it might get better with time."

*sigh* That almost broke my heart a second time. But never mind all that now.  He is enjoying his new found clarity in visual acuity, and I am thanking the Lord we were able to get it all done quite
painlessly.

I think he looks very handsome, don't you? :)

1 comment:

Lou Ann said...

I think Jaxon is very good looking with his new glasses. Being able to see this beautiful world clearly is a wonderful thing.

Lou Ann Pyburn My Jaxon will be 19 years old on July 12th.